Drawing from Drew

7-12-16

Drew has been back home since Saturday morning! We feel so blessed that we got released on day 13 post-transplant! Our total hospital time was 20 days, so our 3rd longest stay. We had been told all along to expect at least a month, so we are very thankful we had no complications and got through it fairly smoothly. People have been asking me how it went, and my first response is, "Great!" since we feel so fortunate to have gotten out complication-free. But then I have to stop and correct myself, because truly it was awful. The process is such a hard one, especially to watch your two year old son go through, but it went great for what it was. How relative everything is now! I really feel like it went better then I thought it was going to. As I said during, I think all the things we've already gone through helped us prepare for it, and also all the support we had from everyone. All the people who watched Molly, the food at home, visits from friends at the hospital, the gift cards we ate on, and the messages, txts, and emails of support really kept us going. And of course the prayers! So thank you all!

So since we've been home, I can tell Drew isn't quite 100% yet. He sure is excited enough to get back to doing all things 2 year old boys love to do, but tires easily and still acts like he has a little pain. He gets sick every so often, mostly first thing in the morning. He has a lingering cough/runny nose from the mucositus, but it is improving. We went in yesterday for lab work, to make sure his marrow continues to grow. Everything is looking well, but the last count to rise is his platelets, or the cells that make his blood clot. So yesterday we were called in for a platelet transfusion in Rochester. His feeding tube had come out too, so they replaced that while we were there as well. Talking to the others on the transplant unit who are from out of state, I learned that they have to stay in Rochester for 100 days post transplant, just in case something comes up or they need support like these transfusions! So I am very thankful that we are close enough to be at home during this post-transplant recovery time. Overall, I can tell each day he gets stronger and can last longer throughout the day. We have a follow up appointment with Oncology at the end of this week. And after that, we aren't going to have much scheduled until we have to repeat all the tests and scans before our next transplant, which is set to begin August 15th. A whole month at home?? We are really excited. We haven't all been home together for more then 2 weeks since January.

I had a wonderful day and a half "off"--slept in, drank MY coffee out of my favorite mug, took a Yoga class, and met up with friends. Starting my week back as full-time Mom to a 4 and 2 year old was kind of a lot yesterday! I remember this from past long hospital stays, it takes a few days to get back into "Mom-mode" after so many days having each of them by themselves. Also, I think they both have to adjust to not having all my attention, and sharing with each other. And Lord knows we all could use about 2 weeks to catch up on sleep!! I think its easy to see in the hospital how much I need Him, but at home I need to make sure I don't go back to old habits of relying on myself to be Super Mom and Wife. Instead I need to take this new awareness and wisdom and let God help me through my day, even when we aren't doing anything "big". Everyday things may seem insignificant now compared to what we've been through, but I believe the big lessons we've learned through all this can't be lost in the small things. Those lessons are a big take-away from this whole thing, and I'm sure are a part of this trial's purpose in our lives. I pray that this all may this never be in vain, that the insight God has shown me will not be forgotten once it's over, or even now when we have a little break.

Sorry for the long report, here are the few pictures I've taken since he's been home of them! I guess we've been busy living life, not taking pictures!!


~Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment