Drawing from Drew

4-6-16

Well Drew and I left the hospital just after noon today--a new record! We were wheeled to surgery to have his line removed bright and early--the wheelchair was outside our hospital room by 7 AM! I was bringing him back up before 10. The procedure itself I'm told takes a matter of minutes, but the process of putting him under and bringing him back makes it an hour and a half ordeal. But once back, everything fell into place to get us out for once--pharmacy had our stuff ready, the doctor team got our release papers going, it was the smoothest release yet! So now we are home, all pretty tired from our week of birthdays and a chemo round in general. Drew *so far* hasn't been too sick, let's pray that continues! We will give him the white cell boosting shot at home each night now, and start going in for labs Friday in Rochester to watch for his counts to start to come back up for them to do the stem cell collection early next week. Again, this is a huge week. Please pray that no new infections come up, and the collection is successful.

It was so nice to have my Aunt here this week. Talking to other families in the hospital, we really are so lucky to have so many willing to help. My brother is taking time off for the next cycle, and my cousin from Colorado has already made arrangements with her family to be here the 2nd week in May to be an extra hand. I have a freezer full of food, I have friends I know I could call for anything and they'd do it. And so many who are praying for us--just as important and uplifting. This is tough. It is SO hard. Some days I just try not to think of how much further we have to go. But having people to help carry this load, in whatever way they can, is such a blessing. The circumstances surrounding my 30th birthday might not have been what I was planning, but besides making me appreciate every singe day I have with my family, it also showed me just how many people love and care for us and our family. And that was a greater gift then I could have asked for. Here's a picture of my twin sister April and I, out for dinner to celebrate. Thank you all!

~Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment