Drawing from Drew

3-16-16

What a difference a day makes!! Drew is so much better today! Yesterday afternoon we went to St Mary's to receive fluids and IV anti-nausea medications. He got 2 bags of fluids and two medications. The doctors said that basically the anti-nausea meds just got behind, and once it's out of control at home there's not much you can do to correct it. So once we got him back on track, I had a choice of staying or going back home and seeing how he did--risking another trip back. Josh and I decided we might as well take the time away if we could, even if it meant coming back if he would end up needing more fluids. We chose wisely, because the last time he's been sick was in the St Mary's Pharmacy line! We were home by 8:30, and he slept pretty much through the night. I set my phone alarms every 3 hours to make sure we didn't get behind on the medications again. Today now he's kept his meds down, and water. So I started his tube feedings again at half the full volume and that's gone well. He even sampled some of the strawberries and cheese Molly had for a morning snack, and the mac and cheese we had for lunch! We pray that this twice-delayed, late-showing-up-nausea cycle 3 is behind us! Thank you for all the healing prayers and for your encouragement this week. Now I will continue to monitor his temperature this week, and go to several lab appointments before we go in on Monday for the stem cell collection. That process I'm told should take 1-2 days. Then Round 4 is scheduled to begin March 31, the day before Drew's 2nd birthday.

Yesterday it was dark and rainy. Today the sun is out, and although it's windy and colder, it just seems like such a brighter day on all fronts. Obviously the weather is something I notice in life (I am a Meteorologist if you didn't know!), and as Spring is starting to show up I'm reminded how wonderful the change is. How refreshing the fresh air and warm sunshine is. I've asked Josh in years past, aren't you glad we had winter to make this feel SO great by contrast? His answer is always no, he could live without winter. But I don't think Spring would feel quite as awesome if we didn't just come through the cold, dark, long months of winter. I'm thinking of this whole chapter of our life like that. This "winter" that may seem so cold, dark, and long, but that will make the "springtime" when this is all behind feel just amazing. I get glimpses like today of a "normal" life and can't wait for this to be everyday again! God helps us through the tough times, but we can look forward to the reward of our endurance after it is over.

~Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment