Drawing from Drew

2-2-16

I wanted to update everyone that the MRI results came back late yesterday afternoon, and there was NO cancer or tumors found on the brain! Great news. However (seems like there is always something), there saw some infection, and associated blood clot, behind his ear. They ordered another CT scan last night to be done to take a better look at it. After viewing that, the team has decided to treat with antibiotics, and see how well it responds. They will do another CT scan on Thursday to reassess. If the infection or clot has gotten worse, they will give a blood thinner to treat the clot then. Since his blood counts are already really low from the Chemo, they don't want to do the blood thinner if they don't have to, and risk bleeding. Right now the doctors are telling me that this is something we are watching, and treating, that it is not too alarming yet. I ask all my praying friends and family to pray that it stays this way! That the infection and clot look better on Thurs and no further treatment is needed. I know it is a God thing that they even found this infection--it had nothing to do with the MRI and it wasn't present on last week's CT scan. So they didn't find what they were looking for on the MRI, but found this instead, and now we are treating it.

Drew continues to look, and starting to act, better. Nurses who saw us last week keep commenting on how much better he looks. He has thrown up a couple times in the last few days, but pretty isolated incidents. In general I can see that my boy is already getting better. He (and I) are getting really tired, hopefully we get some restful days soon. They are telling us to expect to be here until the first part of next week at least--depending on how this infection/blood clot turns out. Drew and I both are starting to get used to hospital living I'm afraid.

Josh going back to work this week has gone well, and Molly is enjoying all the extra attention she's getting from my relatives. I am grateful to have such a great family, my Uncle came to Rochester before the snow really started today, which allowed me to get a break-and a nap! We are blessed to have gotten a room at the Ronald McDonald House, so I even have had a place to escape to. It's just a block from the hospital, and has worked well so far.

After his bath tonight Drew was pretty alert and was back to exploring all the buttons on his bed. He thought the nurse call/TV speaker was a phone! So here he is playing telephone.

Don't stop the praying for us, thank you all again!

~Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment