Drawing from Drew

1-22-17

Details for the services have been worked out. For anyone who is interested and able to come, there will be a visitation on Tuesday, January 24th, from 12-2:30PM, and a Memorial Service at 3PM. There will be a donut (A favorite of Drew's) and coffee reception following. All at Faith Church in Austin. I am looking forward to the services. I think it'll be a nice celebration of the wonder that Drew was, and continues to be on the other side of eternity.

We had a private viewing just for immediate family yesterday to say our final goodbyes before the cremation took place. It was a hard day, but easier because I watched it happen in front of my eyes all week. He looked so much better than the last time I saw him. So "normal" and peaceful. Molly handled it pretty well, and we felt it was a good thing for her to have some closure. Overall she seems to be grasping what we mean by "Drew's with God" and that his body isn't alive anymore. But I think time will tell, just as with all of us, how she will react.

The outpouring of love that started last week in the hospital has continued since we've been back in town. It is unbelievable how much support you all have and are giving us. I do not know how someone could go through something like this without such a wonderful community--local and afar through cyberspace. Thank you doesn't begin to cover it, but know that we appreciate every message, every kind gesture that has been expressed to us this week.

We are doing okay. I have a feeling when our new reality sets in, it will be harder than right now when there is still so much hustle and bustle. But we left St Mary's Thursday with peace. No doubt from the God that has sustained us this whole year. Not saying "goodbye" but "see you" was so much easier because of the hope we have in Christ.

We also left with a deep sense of peace because of Drew. He left us so peacefully, we knew he'd be okay. And for the first time in a year, I am home and I don't have to worry about him. To wonder what would happen. To sleep with an ear open, ready to go in to him with more pain meds or to clean up after he got sick. I have not had to wonder where the cancer was spreading, or if he hurts...because I know he doesn't hurt anymore!

Obviously the grief and sorrow is very real too. I have had a stomach ache ever since I saw him yesterday. Ever since we looked through pictures for 2 hours for the visitation, and as I wrote the piece to be read at his service. We miss him. The noise he brought, the phrases he said, the joy he just was. I will probably write more about it, but I feel like this whole experience was shockingly similar to childbirth. And the part right now is how things feel so different, just like when you add a life to your family, only this time one was taken away. So I know it will become our new normal, and it won't feel so weird someday. But for now it feels weird, and not comfortable.
So that's where we are. A blend of happy for Drew, and so sad for us. Thank you for all your prayers, keep them coming. But this time not for Drew, for Molly and us, a we search for the people we are going to become without him physically with us.

Here is a link to his obituary and service information:

No comments:

Post a Comment